Saturday, July 3, 2010

SYCWAH: The Article - Part 1

Many years ago, I wrote an article on this topic. It's a condensed version of what this blog will be about. I wrote it long before I really knew what a blog was. I tried to market it to Parents Magazine, but never heard back from them. Here is part 1. Come back to read part 2 coming soon!

Unless you’re a parent who can look nostalgically back on your own years as an equestrian and horse-owner, the idea of buying your child a horse may seem just as daunting as the idea of buying them a jumbo jet, perhaps even more-so considering the jet doesn’t have a mind of its own. In actuality, the feasibility and appropriateness of buying a horse for your child depend on a number of factors, and even the parent who’s never so much as petted a pony on the nose can become a successful partner to their child’s endeavor provided those factors come into line.

1. Your Child’s Level of Horse Knowledge.
If your child has never had a riding lesson, buying him or her a horse is out of the question. It would be unfair and hazardous to both your child and the horse. Sure, people in the movies seem to be able to just hop on and ride right away, but trust the word of someone who took weekly lessons for five years just to become utilitarian in the saddle; riding correctly, safely and effectively involves a lot more than sitting up on a horse’s back. Not to mention, riding lessons facilitate so much more than just good position, stability in the saddle and effective use of the aids that allow you to guide your horse. Lessons also bring you into contact with the horse community that will prove invaluable to you once you become an owner. (Who will you get to look after your child’s horse when you want to go on vacation for instance, if you don’t know anyone else in your local horse community?) In fact, you should not consider looking for a horse for your child without the consultation of his or her riding instructor, and that instructor will need to be familiar with your child’s abilities and knowledge level. Thus, looking to purchase a horse without first investing in several months and preferably several years of lessons is an unwise proposition to say the least. You know better than anyone how often your child’s interests shift, and you don’t want to be saddled with the expense and responsibility of a horse if your child is not committed.


Part 2 of this article, "Your Access to Horse Professionals and the Horse Community." will be appearing soon.

Until then, Happy Trails!

3 comments:

  1. When I was a kid we had 6 or 7 horses. One of them was a registered appaloosa named Prince Red Buck, that's the name he came with when we bought him. Anyway, I loved horses and riding them. I haven't been on a horse in close to twenty years. I would love to get back on the saddle again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't know of a good place to go horseback riding in Lexington. There are plenty of places to take a lesson, but as far as pleasure riding goes.... The Horse Park does trail rides, but that would probably be pretty boring for you, though maybe a fun time for the kids!

    ReplyDelete